Spitfire Dedicated Plugin VS Kontakt

Hi everyone:

Here's something I've been thinking about: Would it be a good idea to take older Spitfire libraries and make them available in the Spitfire dedicated plugin...?? If you already own the Kontakt Full sampler that's ok, but if you don't now you have to invest in other third party product in order to use whatever library you want to use. I know there are libraries available with the Kontakt free player, but is there a real advantage to use the Kontakt Full VS the Spitfire dedicated plugin...??

To be fair, I'm not really sure how many libraries does require the Full Kontakt.

Let me know you opinion, thank you and have a nice day.

Comments

• Sono_Luminus2021
    edited August 28

I agree. I would like (and hope) to see some reissues of Spitfire Kontakt libraries using the Spitfire Audio Plugin. Whilst Kontakt is a powerful sampler that I use it quite often, I like the idea of a dedicated purpose built tool for scoring and arrangement. Being able to lock the articulations and key switch assignments is very easy and convenient. It probably wouldn't make sense to do ALL libraries but I would start with titles such as Kepler, Albion 1, Studio and Symphony Series

Kontakt does allow you to have fewer instances of a plugin open, with several articulations loaded in each player, but I find that the SAP is extremely light and even a modest CPU (by todays standards) can handle multiple instances. My main system for BBCSO is a 2018 iMac i5. It can easily manage 60-80 active instances of the plugin with high polyphony. My 2nd system is an older iMac i5 using VEP and Kontakt libraries. I would like to unify my collections and have only (1) workspace to navigate.

• I would really like to see this as well. There are several libraries that I would like to purchase, but they require Kontakt. As the OP stated, I do understand about the 'free' version of Kontakt, but I have not had an overly positive experience with it. So, the only libraries I ever consider purchasing are the ones using the Spitfire plugin.

• I'd love to see this as well. I much prefer Spitfire's dedicated plugin over Kontakt.

• Opposite here. I won't buy libraries that use the dedicated plugin. I need to be able to customize my sounds to suit my needs. With Kontakt I can apply alternate tunings, change keyranges, and fix out of tune notes. Don't like the attack or decay of a note or zone? Fix it. Reroute, add or subtract effects, modulation sources and destinations, not to mention being able to make instruments from scratch.

Most of Spitfire's stuff uses the dedicated plugin or Kontakt player, so you're in luck. For the record I do have 4 that do not - the marimba, harp and mando swarms, and orchestral grand.

• Well, I would certainly turn Edward's concerns into a wishlist for the dedicated plugin for additional parameters that appear to be missing. No doubt, Spitfire will continue to update their plugin to eventually make Kontakt largely redundant. While I only know LABS and Discovery, I find the concept already exceptional and beautiful to use and easily imagine these to grow towards perfection.

Kontakt is a heavy environment and it takes a lot more experience and patience to handle it. One thing I like is that I can run one instance and hook individual instruments to different channels, effectively making it multi-timbral. I haven't seen that possibility with the dedicated plugin, yet. One big advantage of it would be the obvious adjustment of general settings, particularly effects. I'd put that on a wishlist, too.

• That would need a serious rework of the spitfire player. I think the solution is to have it both ways, being able to have it in Kontakt, as well as with the spitfire player, so both worlds are happy. Certain people (media composers) have huge templates, we are talking about hundreds and sometimes thousands of tracks with instruments and articulations loaded through VEP or just Kontakt. The way this stand-alone plugin is now it's not scalable to very big projects or templates. You mentioned LABS and Discovery but in Core and Pro you can load/unload articulations (techniques), although it's still loading samples that you don't use and it's not multi-timbral, so it might be a problem with limited RAM and very big projects, especially since things like M1 come with such limited amount and you need quite a lot more.

• I'm afraid this would land me a massive smack on the head, but I would really see a future with a bit more computation rather than memory usage. This means, evolving a bit more synthesis, working with recorded material, if only to reduce the need for too many samples. But that's a total tangent, of course... still... I see Spitfire as a place of immense resources and the right desire to innovate. Adding this to the realization that it's not about putting real orchestras out of a job, (cough, cough), I can really see a more efficient hybrid solution somewhere on the horizon.

Again, it's a tangent, but it seems like a decent moment to throw that in as a thought. I'm not talking about A.I. analyzing it all and trying to reconstruct the real thing, but just some clever alternative for augmentation.

See me ducking and taking cover.... 😖

• Hi @OscArias

We do have a history of converting old Kontakt Full libraries into LABS and Originals products (e.g. Felt Piano, Soft Piano, Cimbalom). I can't speculate on whether there are any plans to convert other libraries, but certainly we have moved away from releasing products on the Kontakt Full platform.

That said, Kontakt Full is currently 50% off (at the time of writing) and opens up a whole new world (e.g. https://www.pianobook.co.uk/)

• Guys… you can get full Kontakt an sale for 125€ and it comes with a lot of sounds. So not that big of a deal, when comparing to some libraries^^

For me, I rather use Kontakt than the dedicated plug in. This way I can stack patches and create my own combinations of sounds.