Faster string attacks on BBC Discover?

Hi,

I'm fairly new to sample libraries and DAWs. Using Logic Pro 10.6.3 with BBC Discover on MacBook Air M1.

All things work nicely, but I'd like a bit more attack on especially the strings. As it is now, it takes a while before the full strength and timbre of the note is reached. I'd like more "bite" in the strings from the start of the note. Can I control this in my setup?

Comments

• I don't think it's possible in Discover version but you have such options in some of the LABS strings. Check out the free libraries from there as well, there are lots of strings LABS, from Strings, Strings 2, Frozen Strings, Scary Strings, Synth Strings, Tape Orchestra, Cello Quartet... you name it. Some of them have such options, to modify things like the attack, release, sustain.

I think another option is to layer them, like your normal strings from Discover and shorts from Strings LABS (have that bite you want), as you don't find shorts in Discover.

Another option is to upgrade to Core or Pro, they have way more articulations and options.

• Thanks for the tip! I downloaded LABS Strings and Strings 2 and double-layered them with my BBC Discover violins etc. Didn't like the result, though, it was too sharp an accent on each note and then fade-in of the BBC sound.

So I keep on looking and trying...

• Doc Bob
    edited August 23

Most DAW’s have a way to set a track offset, which can be a negative number. Reaper has it if you click the routing button. I can almost guarantee Logic Pro has it. Choose an offset of anywhere from -20 to -100 msec. The sample will start playing just before the beat and feel like it is right on.

Alternatively, you can drag the whole midi clip a bit to the left and accomplish the same thing.

• You are referring to negative track delay, which most if not all DAW have it on track or mixer, but the person is asking for a different thing, a faster attack like in a bit more initial bite, a bit more aggressive on the start, which negative delay still can't solve it.

• Not sure I agree. the offset is very effective. Let the OP try it and report back

• My experience is that most of the time is just a time shift and doesn't change the sound a bit. You put that short track delay to compensate for the delay some libraries put in to avoid pops and crackles and your midi are not all over the place and not on bars. And you can also layer better with other instruments or libraries and avoid sounding weird on top of each other because of different delays, and other libraries have it because some instruments or rather players don't start ahead of the beat with a slow instrument. To make it more of an extreme example, a negative delay won't make your soft long strings suddenly have the bite of marcato or shorts, because a short time shift will still start with the same sound. But of course, if you put enough delay or even do some sound design on your own you can get to the part where the string are at the full strength, but it's not quite the same imo, as you take away from the expressiveness that you start with and how it was recorded.

• Hi @JerryThePacemaker

My advice here would be to download the BBC SO Core or Pro template. This means you'll get a translation of the Legato technique, which is essentially a monophonic "Longs" patch. This helps clear up the trailing voices.

Download the templates here: https://community.spitfireaudio.com/discussion/652/bbcso-templates-logic-pro

Alternatively, you can combine the Longs and Staccato techniques together by holding down Shift + Clicking.