"The Page" Orchestral Templates - Technical mixing question regarding busses (longs vs shorts)

I've recently dug into the awesome Template provided here. However I have one question I couldn't figure out by reading or watching the videos, and that is why the subgroups/busses are broken out by articulation, in particular long vs. short. To give an example, if you look inside the template (I'm using Logic), and under the Strings Stack, you'll see that there are busses for Strings Long, Strings Short, Pizz, FX, etc. Same with Winds and Brass and so on.

I've done a bit of mixing before (but more in the realm of pop/rock) and in my case I would find it typically more useful to subgroup based on the frequency spectrum of an instrument. In other words, for strings rather than bussing by articulation, it would be logical to me to bus all the low strings together, and all the high strings together, same with brass/winds/perc etc, high and low. This way if you need to sculpt them a bit with EQ and bus compression, they are working on the frequency spectrum (so if you have a Strings High buss, you might roll off some lows, add a bit of air, cut a little 3-5k where it might get strident; all just general examples).

However I don't have any professional mixing experience with orchestral arrangements, so I figure there is a reason they've designed the busses around articulations. Does anyone have any idea the advantage and reasons of bussing separately Longs, Shorts, etc? Is this an industry standard approach to mixing orchestral and film music? Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @jwing

I am sure each person will have their own preferred workflow, but one of the main reasons you may prefer this when mixing is that you can have differing amount of reverb for the articulations without the need for automating. You can, for instance, have a send that takes a louder signal from the long articulations to add thicker reverb there and less of a signal from the shorts for a more dry sound. This can make your longs sound much bigger while your shorts can be intimate and detailed.

• Hi Andrew, that makes perfect sense and I hadn't even thought of that. "Duh!" haha. I've been modifying the template to suit my workflow and I'll probably use some combination of both ideas, yet it's helpful to understand the logic behind the way it was originally set up. Thanks for the explanation!