Round-Robins

Hi,

do you have any experience with Round-Robins functionalities of Spitfire products? I tried everything but no results. (Albion, Solo Cello, Solo Violin). Christian or Paul are avoiding these functions during Walkthroughs without any explanation. These links didn't help at all:

https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025864833-What-is-a-Round-Robin-

https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016071834-How-It-Works-Resetting-Round-Robins-

M

Comments

• I might be able to help, but could you elaborate on the issue you're having?

• Thank you Dan. I tried all possibilities “Neighbouring Zones”, 2x Round Robin With Skip, etc. but I don't see (or hear) any changes while playing. Some tutorials would be great.

M

• Hey Miroslav, here's some information on those:

Neighbouring Zones - pulls from neighbouring zones, so for an ‘8RR’ instrument, you effectively cycle through up to 24 different sounding notes when pressing a key. It’s still just playing the one RR at a time, though giving you more of them by borrowing from the other zones (so for a C3, it could be borrowing from B2 and D3). In a legato patch this also alternates between 3 legato intervals, effectively 'faking' round robin legato.

2x Round Robin With Skip - plays two RR simultaneously. Equivalent to placing two notes on top of each other in your DAW (this also drops the overall volume by around ~6db so that the levels remain the same). Using this option means the number of RRs is halved, as it'll be playing 2RR at once (RR1 & RR2 together, RR3 & RR4 together, etc).

Layer 2x Round Robins With No Skip - As above but the number of RRs aren't halved. So if you press a note it would play RR1 & RR2, then RR2 & RR3, then RR3 & RR4.

Hope that helps!

• Not at all..no change. would you make a short video of how you play it?

• gregoryd
    edited March 26

The round robin changes are designed to be relatively unnoticeable... The legato transitions are pretty similar unless you try some portamento articulations (then you should hear a different transition). Short articulations are also a lot easier to hear the difference. Remember, they only trigger different round robins when you play the exact same passage of notes without stopping.

The whole point is to make it so if you played the same short passage on loop, it wouldn't be a carbon copy. Or for the short repeated notes, it won't create a machine gun sounding effect. At the same time, the instrument still needs to be very consistent, or it's going to sound so different every time you won't know how the music will turn out.

So essentially, you shouldn't hear a distinct take for every round robin. The short notes are the easiest to hear a difference between round robins. I could be wrong about this, but I don't think you want to be able to sit there and say "oh, that's the 3rd round robin in my legato fingered transition from A4 to G4".