Looking for support? Click here

Sample Storage

2»

Comments

• Black Magic Dock with 4 SSDs that are all basically filled up. Works well. TB connection to iMac Pro.

• If you can, internal drives are preferable to external ones. Both, though really need to be on separate connections and not chained together, so add extra USB3.x cards into your box if you can and use a separate cable for each external drive. This will improve throughput and increase safety should an interface or drive fail.

And, of course, SSD SSD SSD (or M2 M2 M2, but not HD unless you have no option and then as fast as possible 10k ideally)

Roland Fantom-6, JX-3P, VT-4 | NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2 | Audient ASP800 | Steinberg UR816C | X570-F / AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - 64GB - 3TB of M2 | Adam Audio T8V(pr),T5V(pr)| Kontakt 6 | Nuendo 11 | BBCSO pro | Icon Qcon Pro G2+ | AstonMics Stealth, Element | AKG K280, D3700 | Røde M5(pr) | Zoom H5, HSS-6

• I have two internal SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe drives. That's a total of 4TB of lightning fast sample storage. I don't know what I'll do when those run out of room (and they will).

Here's a word of caution. If you use M.2 internal SSDs, be aware that they don't like to be moved around. I made this mistake when I upgraded a 1TB with a 2TB. I thought I'd be able to simply copy one over to the other. It didn't work out that way. I wound up losing ALL of my stored sample libraries. Yes, that's right, folks. I had to redownload every. Single. Damn. Library. It took me the better part of a week to restore all my libraries. I don't do regular backups on my libraries, because...well, I always figured I could just redownload them. But I never thought about what a royal pain in the ass that would actually be. Live and learn, right? 🤣

• I was using m.2 2TB and 4TB NVME drives over Thunderbolt. But I had to use RAID to get enough space. (4 x 2TB) = 8TB drive, and another enclosure with (2 x 4TB) = 8TB. But I ended up need a drive larger than 8TB in size. Those sample libraries really add up, along with the projects I work on.

Then I upgraded to a Micron 9300 Pro 15.36TB NVMe U.2 Enterprise Solid State Drive. This does 3000 MB/sec read, and over 2000MB/sec write. I recently added a Micron 9200 6.4TB NVMe U.2 Solid State Drive as well, as I needed more space for samples, loops, and sound effects. These are in external drive cases over Thunderbolt 3. These enterprise drives are built to perform, and they have great heat sinks.

Now you should always back everything up. Drives do fail. So I have RAID 1 with 3 spinning hard drives for backup, this allows 2 spinning drives to fail and I still have a working backup.

• Hi

For those of you using windows some tips of getting better performance :

I have "Debloated" my Windows 10 Pro install so now the laptop is running ultra efficiently, the task master looks like the Sahara Desert and I run two Segate 3 TB USB drives on a powered Hub. I store all my libraries etc on one external drive (excluding labs) and back up on the other...it all works really well.

Currently experimenting with the possiibiity of using a high end Usb device for improved and extended real time disk cache tasks as an altrernative to the internal SSD drive.

I work with an I7,, 2 core machine ...Think Pad. These days using Kontakt and in particular Maschine I have seen both cores approaching or transiently exceeding temperature limits and approaching critical temperatures much of the time . I handled this problem by acquiring a stand for my computer with an "almost" silent bed of fans.

Best Des

• Just remember that any number of backups in a single location isn't truly a backup. Even with a 3-disk RAID1 array, a fire or other disaster means that all three copies are lost.

• I use OWC ThunderBlade drives for all samples. They come in 1 to 16 TB sizes and can work together in a RAID configuration. If you setup 2 ThunderBlade drives, using Thunderbolt 3, in a RAID 0 configuration you get amazing speed results (see attached). I use slower drives for offline backups.

• That’s quite impressive performance..congratulations .

• @SteveK If you have APFS as an option for formatting I'd recommend that over Mac OS Extended though either format is suitable, I'd recommend against case-sensitive formats if you are using any NI software (like Kontakt or Native Access) as these can run into issues with those (see here for more info)

• Just thought I'd follow up since I started this thread, so far really loving the Samsung T7. Running just as fast as when my samples were stored internally but now I have so much more space on the computer. Great Recommendation! It's about $150 cheaper than the Glyph Raid I was looking at, and it seems like it's actually a little faster. Which I somehow overlooked originally.