How to fix bass drum interrupting cymbals in LABS Drums?

A new problem appeared for me where the bass drum would cut off the lingering sound of the cymbals, even if the cymbal's key is held down. I didn't have this problem before, so how can I fix it? I've tried 'repairing' LABS Drums, but the problem remains.

Best Answers

• Angus
    Angus admin
    100 Answers 500 Likes 500 Comments First Anniversary
    Answer ✓

Hi @Oktayey and @Seanthom93

We are aware of this issue, which has surfaced from a recent update to the LABS plugin. I have created tickets for you both so you can be notified of when an update is available that patches this issue. In the meantime, a workaround is to use LABS Percussion, or we can roll you back to 1.3.8.

Anyone else with this issue should contact us at www.spitfireaudio.com/support

• Angus
    Angus admin
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓

Hi @jknttr

Sorry about any inconvenience this has caused. The workarounds for now are to either use the LABS Percussion library (which is fully functional in v.1.3.11) or to roll back to the previous version of the plugin (1.3.8). For the case of the latter, please reach out to our support team by creating a ticket at www.spitfireaudio.com/support

• Jack
    Jack mod
    25 Likes 5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓

Hi All,

Yes there is a way to temporarily resolve this particular issue. Please contact us via support and we can manually replace the plugin with the older 1.3.8 version.

What is to be noted with this fix is the latest LABS instrument will not work with an earlier plugin and will result in Error2. Clicking past the error will allow you to still used compatible patches however, such a Drums,

Thanks

Jack

• Angus
    Angus admin
    Answer ✓

@Taron we'll be introducing a new plugin for the next LABS drop next month that fixes this issue. If you desperately need a copy ahead of that time, please reach out to support: www.spitfireaudio.com.support

Answers

• I am also having the same issue. In fact, cymbals and bass drum will cancel each other out interchangeably. Would love to see a fix for this ASAP as I use the plugin pretty regularly...

• I use this plugin all the time and its really messing up my work flow when my drums arent working properly. Is there a way for users to fix this problem now?

• Can I get a ticket to be notified when this is fixed, too? I'll submit a request to be rolled back.

• Taron
    edited August 2021

I just stumbled across that issue in horror... the LABS drums were a love-at-first-beat for me and I felt save, knowing that they're there. Suddenly this madness and it feels even more mad to complain, knowing that this gem is for free. Still I'd love to know that you're on the issue and are planning to fix it again, because this is a real stand-out for the sense of ease to make exciting music without too many worries, if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't want to roll back, since I don't want to miss anything you're creating. I'm hoping you'll make some announcement for when the Drums come back to their full glory.

Thanks in advance and thanks for everything you're doing. Totally brilliant!

• Awww, Angus, that's incredible, thank you! I'm just happy you will fix it again and I will hang in there with anticipation!

You're making me and countless people oh so very happy... as you do. Again, thank you for that wonderful offer, but I rather let you work in peace on your excellent miracles! 🤗

• Hey! While u wait for the next update an easy fix to the problem is make a separate track for the cymbals. For me it worked.

• This is a great tip. I usually tend to have separate tracks for each drum/cymbal, as it gives me far more control over individual volume - for example, there are times when I need the timbre from a softer velocity from my kick but need more volume, and if all drums are on the same track it's makes it a bit difficult to do.

• I almost had mentioned that approach, but not only is it no solution, since each independent cymbal breaks up the other, it also defeats the very thing that makes the Drums so excellent: playability! (...which apparently is not a word, woops) ...the most amazing thing about them is (hopefully will be soon again), how natural it feels to play them into the track. You can let lose and they flow with you so lively and authentic.

So, yeah, no! 🧐

• it's been 1 month and it hasn't been fixed yet. any updates?

• @haikasan are you running LABS 1.4.0?

• @Angus i'm running the latest version and the problem still occurs.

• Hi @haikasan,

If you're able to contact support with a:

• An audio file that demonstrates the issue
    • A MIDI file of the above audio so we can test with the latest plugin

That would help us identify any further issues. www.spitfireaudio.com/support

• Thanks @haikasan

I'll take a look at this later this week.