Legato Patches Suddenly Polyphonic

Hi, hopefully someone can assist me. For some reason just recently whenever I try to load a Legato patch in BBC SO its polyphonic. Sometimes I get the transitions, sometimes it acts like a "Long" patch. I've tried repairing the library. I've restarted a half dozen times. Nothing seems to work. It also seems to be every instrument. I have Core if that helps.

Comments

  • Hi @Nate

    You definitely should not be able to play two notes simultaneously with the Legato techniques in BBC SO. The main thing to be aware of here is that Velocity will control the transition type. The lower the velocity, the more obvious the transition.


  • Thanks, I should clarify I've owned it for about 6 months. Bought it back in January. Its worked fine until about a week ago. In addition it only seems to be while recording. When I playback the MIDI it sounds fine, just how its supposed to. But it makes real time input much more difficult.

  • Hi @Nate

    I've followed up via email so we can figure this out together!

  • Hey @Nate,

    Ive got this problem since today. Were you able to fix it, and how?

    Thanks,

    Jelle

  • Hi @Jelle

    I opened a ticket for you on this one so we can have a look at whats happening! Will be in touch via email shortly.

  • Same problem here for all my legato patches. Did you find a way around it?

  • @gefionsong there could be a number of reasons why this is occurring. On a basic level, it is worth sanity checking the following:

    • Are you actually using the Legato technique on the patch you have selected- and do you have the correct plugin open for the track?
    • Check that no other tracks are also record enabled as they might be doubling the line.
    • Check your control MIDI Inputs are not doubled.

    If that does not help, I can create a support ticket for you.

  • I'm having this same issue too. I've been using BBC Core for more than a year, and suddenly, all legato patches became polyphonic, it's almost like a long patch. I'm using Studio One 5 as my DAW, didn't change anything, I even started another project. Please help.

  • I just checked all strings, brass, and woodwinds (including soloists) in BBCSO Core, and none of the legato patches are polyphonic. I would try @Angus suggestions for problem solving posted above. Best of luck!

  • Yeah, I checked all those things before writing, I didn't change anything from my normal setup. Thanks!

  • I'm having the same problem. The BBC SO legato patches will every so often just randomly act like their polyphonic. And I don't know what makes it happen.

    Can someone assist me with this? Thanks!

  • Now my legato patches started working normally again for no apparent reason. All I did was reactivate a project I had open and then the patches were working normally again. Weird. Glad it's working now! But I'd still like to find out exactly why it happens.

  • Tombottelberge
    edited June 16

    Hi,

    I had the same and think I found an explanation. It seems to be linked to velocity. If you play at full velocity, then you get legato. If you lower the velocity value at some point they become polyphonic. Also check the preset settings (velocity mapped to dynamics or other settings). You can find more details in the manual.


    Hope this helps.

  • Hi @Caleb_Arndt and @Tombottelberge


    When you load an instance of BBCSO and select an instrument what does it say in the Trigger setting?

    It should say Keyswitch or None IF you don't want anything else to trigger a technique change. If you have for example, velocity as a trigger then your note velocity when playing will trigger a change from the legato to a different articulation.

    Select the legato articulation, Set the trigger as keyswitch. You should get legato and velocity will only change the type of legato transition (if there is more than one).

    Hope that helps.

    Cheers

    Steve

  • Hi @Steve Shaw and @Tombottelberge

    I tried playing around with different velocities to try to replicate the problem, but so far the legato patches are working smoothly regardless of how hard I play the keys.

    I checked the Trigger setting and it is on Keyswitch, so I guess that wasn't the cause of it acting that way. Now, at the moment, my legato patches are working just fine, so obviously there isn't an "issue" to locate right now because it's probably all in correct order. I guess there's a small chance that I accidentally changed the Trigger setting at some point without noticing, but I doubt it because I've never purposely adjusted them before.

    I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gives me trouble again. Thanks for the help!