Looking for support? Click here

Sounds after long/legato string notes?

I end a song I am working on with a long-ish cluster of BBCSO Violins 1, Violins 2, and Violas notes ('long' articulation).

As the notes end, I hear a beautiful reverb tail, but then, I also hear something that sounds a bit like mechanical/clunky sounds, like the plugin is 'winding down'.

[but I have BBCSO installed on a Samsung portable 2TB SSD. So... no moving parts!]

Additional information:

1. This occurs when using the 'legato' and/or 'long' articulations. I get the exact same sounds, more pronounced on some notes than others (e.g., G4 on Violins 1).
  2. It occurs only after playing a longer, sustained note. Even on 'legato' and/or 'long', it does not occur if I play a short note.
  3. Happens only with BBCSO Strings. Not with Abbey Road High Strings, for instance, not with Epic Strings.

Anybody else hearing something like this? Any ideas on how to eliminate? I am having to use a fade-out and try to balance a) fading out in time to eliminate the sound, while b) keeping the fade up enough to hear a decent/full reverb tail. It's a very tough thing to balance.

Thanks,

LoFo

Comments

• I have had this problem as well. My current solution is freezing the tracks in question and using Rx Elements to ID and remove noise. (CH used it in one of his DIY sampling videos.) It's terrific stuff and on sale at the moment as part of a bundle on Izotope: see here!

There's also a good mastering plugin called Ozone that's included in the bundle.

• When you say "Mechanical clinkly sounds", do you mean it sounds like there's someone hitting on an anvil? Or you're getting crackles and pops?

A lot of long samples will have the sound of the players releasing the string's tension, and lowering their bow or exhaling after having played the note.

Some composers can't handle that and want their strings to be synths, but I quite like it.

If you're playing a single note and hearing russling of humans playing, and telling yourself "Oh my God, I heard a rustle, I can't write with this" (I've seen a lot of these types of comments around BBCSO, as it's a lot of peoples first sample library) then let me assure you that you're actually experiencing writers block and creating excuses.

All the people who have written and released great music with BBCSO aren't in on a big conspiracy - these little crinkles are totally inaudible once you've actually written the music and seen it all through.

The noise floor of a real orchestra is quite high, but you don't notice it when beautiful music is louder.

Good luck! :)

• NIC - I didn't say 'clinkly', I said 'clunky'. Every composer knows there is a big difference between clunky and clinkly.

Actually, it sounds like the violinist fell of his/her chair after the note was completed. I guess those recording sessions would get taxing.

Be assured, I do want my orchestral libraries to sound like orchestral libraries, not synths. I like synths, but I know and appreciate the difference. Also, be equally assured I do not have writer's block, and I am not creating 'excuses' (not the nicest or most helpful comment for you to make, btw).

And I'm not in on some conspiracy. Didn't even know there was one. I have heard many other types of 'player sounds' in other notes - none of that has bothered me. In this situation, though, the sound was more extreme than others, and the violins/violas are the last to come off at the end of the song, so this sound is not buried in the music/mix at all.

CALEB - Thanks for the simple confirmation. I already own Isotope RX, and this is exactly what I have done. I bounced out to 'wav', killed that one artifact, and flew it back into my session. Now I can hear just my Valhalla verb and not the violinist's veritable and violent clunk.

Best Regards,

LoFo

• Angus
    Angus admin
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers Spitfire Employee

@LoFo please reach out to support if you would like us to take a look. We can then escalate to our Product Development team if necessary. I would also consider your monitoring level. If you are having to unrealistically boost the samples, you will pick up these recording artefacts- but for the most part, they will not be present when used in context inside an orchestral template with appropriate headroom.

• hmm it sounds to me like someone quickly exhaling.