Persistent Logic error message requiring restart, using only BBCSO Pro and LABS plugs

Running Logic Pro X under OS Ventura on a M1 Mini and with only BBCSO Pro and LABS plug-ins, even before recording a single MIDI note, I persistently get the error message: An Audio Unit plug-in reported a problem which might cause the system to become unstable. Please quit and restart Logic Pro.

Naturally, these restarts are disruptive and a complete waste of time.

Help?

World Abounding is Joel David Palmer

Decorah, Iowa

Answers

• Seems to relate to a running service AUHostingService (Logic Pro). IMHO quite a few plugins from several sources that claim to be M1 native aren’t.

• Interesting suggestion. If this is the case, let's hope Spitfire resolves the matter as soon as possible. Thanks for responding!

Decorah, Iowa

• I don't think this is specifically Spitfire. I have had it happen with other plugins. For me it fortunately is quite rare. Sometimes I can hit the recover button and all is well. Sometimes I have to quit and restart.

• Yes, the forums are full of reports from all quarters and it seems no effected vendor has yet solved the problem. It would be good, as a starting point, to at least have some acknowledgment from those vendors.

Decorah, Iowa

• @WorldAbounding Is this a new machine, or have you recently upgraded to Ventura? If you've recently upgraded, or have migrated from an older Mac, then it's likely some of your settings and/or sample folders have been moved. If the plugin can't find its data, then it crashes as you describe. (It used to survive and give the famous "Error #1", but I think there have been some changes to the way Logic loads plugins.) You can use the Spitfire app[1] to check for products missing their presets/patches.

Alternatively, you could try looking at the plugin's log file to see what's going on; that is, if it manages to log anything before the crash?

Also worth mentioning that Ventura isn't supported by Spitfire[2] yet - this doesn't necessarily mean the plugins won't work, just that they haven't got around to testing enough to be sure. So, rolling back to Monterey is another option - albeit a tedious one.

@KeithCocker123 The BBCSO plugin is definitely M1-compatible! Logic Pro runs all third-party plugins inside AUHostingService regardless of whether they're compiled for M1 or Intel hardware. This is the rare occasion when info on the various music forums is almost always wrong: Logic runs plugins in a separate process exactly so it can interact uniformly with M1 and Intel plugins without needing to match the plugins' architecture. (Another example: it has never been necessary to run Logic in Rosetta mode to use Intel plugins, but this advice is still commonplace.)

[1] https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012956197-Moving-Libraries-

[2] https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409631714705-macOS-13-Ventura-Compatibility-Statement

• @aldous "The BBCSO plugin is definitely M1-compatible!'

Yes and no is my answer to that. I use an NI Keyboard and Komplete Kontrol. Presently the Spitfire Plugin and KK do not play nicely together run Natively. The playable range and the articulation key switches do not appear on the KK Keyboard. This happens whether the Spitfire Plugin is on a Track or if it is housed in KK on a track. (Running in Rosetta this doesn't occur). The Spitfire team are aware of this and are working on it. Of course, in theses situations that requires collaboration between NI & Spitfire. I believe this to be happening. So, I'm sure this will be sorted but it is giving many people cause for concern and frustration.

• @KeithCocker123 Sure, I was talking about @WorldAbounding 's problem where I know the two pieces of software involved and how they interact. I don't know KK so can't say much on that, other than that the presence of AUHostingService tells you very little about what the problem really is :-)

• KeithCocker123
    edited January 22

@aldous I do notice that when the error message that @WorldAbounding mentions occurs in Logic that AUHosting Service shows as unresponsive (Red) in Activity Monitor - so surely there must be some connection? But that's for Spitfire, NI etc to look at as I'm sure they are doing. I just want to play and write music with no technical glitches!!!😀

• The only change I made was upgrading to Ventura, a month after its release.

Thank you, @aldous, for the reference to https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409631714705-macOS-13-Ventura-Compatibility-Statement, frustrating though it is to have been made aware well after the fact.

Surely it would not have been a great hardship for Spitfire to have emailed their customer list with a warning at the first sign of trouble?

I guess I must blame myself. Live and learn.

Decorah, Iowa

• @WorldAbounding Before rolling back, I'd definitely give the Spitfire app a try: it may just be a matter of updating folder locations. Spitfire aren't saying the plugins are broken on Ventura -- anecdotally, I've heard of people running on Ventura just fine. The statement just says they haven't enough certainty to provide tech support.

• The Spitfire app is up to date, all the libraries live on an external SSD, no reason to think the Ventura upgrade would have impacted them. In Logic, the plugs work fine, no features missing or misbehaving. The error message just suddenly appears while everything is working as it should.

Decorah, Iowa

• aldous
    edited January 22

@KeithCocker123 "I do notice that when the error message that WorldAbounding mentions occurs in Logic that AUHosting Service shows as unresponsive (Red) in Activity Monitor - so surely there must be some connection?"

There's a connection but it's effect rather than cause: when the plugin crashes, it takes its enclosing process - in this case, AuHostingService - down with it. By the time you see the error message, that process is dead and Activity Monitor will correctly show it as unresponsive. The operating system only keeps the entry in case you ask to send a report to Apple, e.g., because it would need the wreckage to build its report. Just in case it's interesting; as you say, the technical work has to happen with the vendors.

• @WorldAbounding There's more than just the sample data to consider, but if you are able to load the plugins and they can load presets then I agree it's not likely to be a location issue. I must've misunderstood: I thought that you couldn't play a note without crashing? Anyway, besides checking the plugin logs for clues, I'm out of ideas. :-(

• Thank you all for scratching your heads along with me!

Decorah, Iowa