Spatial Mixing with Dolby Atmos in Logic

anthonypalomba
edited December 2022 in Tech Talk

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with mixing film scores in Dolby Atmos in Logic pro. It seems like it would be very desirable to be able to place the different sections of the orchestra or instruments where I want them in the space. Then run the whole thing through an impulse response in Space Designer, then mix down to two channels. The end result is my very own mic placements, room configuration, and reverberance.

Has any one given this a try?

Comments

• No one has tried this? Really?

• Just need an Atmos setup and I'll give it a go! Would be interested to hear how the spatial info translates to two channels...

• Well Logic Pro support Dolby Atmos. You can place tracks in a 3d space and it will mix it down to 2-channel, 5.1, etc. I think it is a worthy experiment.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, considering that a lot of sample libraries come with mic placements. But this might be a good technique if you have a library that does not have any fancy mic positions or you are using different sample libraries together and you need to them to sound unified.

I will give it a try and let you guys know.