Logic and Reaper

Hello all,

It is likely mostly operator error but I have grown weary of tech issues with Logic. Several of my students have suggested Reaper as an alternative they have enjoyed. I would appreciate any of your ideas on Reaper and any advantages/disadvantages between the two DAW's.

many thanks in advance

John

Answers

• Hello,

It would be difficult for me to compare precisely Reaper with Logic, but I can give you my opinion on Reaper, which I have been using for a good ten years.

I think you can go there with your eyes closed, and with a quick training, you can find all the necessary and even superfluous functions on this software!

Reaper is particularly appreciated for its modularity, its infinite options for adapting to our workflow. Initially, the sensitive point often put forward by opponents is its complex appearance and also its austere interface, a bit like a survival of the old computer world. But I can tell you that once you've tasted all that and spent enough time training, everything becomes clear, fluid and transparent.

I would add (and yet, you see, I am not a sales representative at Reaper) that I have never had the slightest bug, the slightest freeze, the slightest impediment, including on complex mixes.

The program is updated for free at a steady pace.

In short, for a more than reasonable entry price (and even the possibility of testing without time limit), I think we can switch to Reaper without any worries!

Oh yes, there are many video tutorials, perfectly educational, which allow us to take our hands quietly from our first steps.

So, yes, sometimes you feel lost in the middle of an ocean of possibilities, when you take this DAW in hand at first, but I assure you that you end up finding the right swimming rhythm, and even if you don't never uses it to 100% of its possibilities, as is my case, you quickly get used to your little routines allowing you to adapt well to your needs.

You see, I'm enthusiastic, and it's been going on for years!

(a few months ago I tried Logic a bit, being on mac, and out of curiosity, saying to myself, "Come on, you look like an old PC man with your dull Reaper, be more cool, be more in the mood, switch to Logic... You will also then be able to benefit from the Samples which are not offered in Reaper. You will have Plugins much prettier than those provided by Cockos (but that these ugly codes work well at Cockos! Ugly but devilishly effective), which Logic, you will have a very pretty interface integrated into the apple ecosystem, but by the way, I can also give the reaper a touch of Logic appearance or even better, an old vintage console or a ship black star, if I want" And I did not last a week on my Logic experiments. Not that Logic is less good, but frankly why spend to have substantially the same, less modular... And I also admit that I 've been a bit too lazy to go through the whole training process on a new DAW, which takes time.

My comment is a little lyrical, I suppose, but it is commensurate with my satisfaction.

Have a good day

• Actually, from the answer that I just read, only or practically, I can only accept that Reaper is an excellent DAW, full of benefits and particularities that others do not have. The rest of the speech is completely contradictory. You ask people to do the training, go through the learning curve but you are not willing to do it the other way around with Logic and therefore it disqualifies you from having an objective opinion of it. You ask one last question from the point of view of who already masters REAPER but you omit those who already master LOGIC, obviously because you don't really know LOGIC PRO. You don't set an example. It's such a one-sided comment that it borders on DAW sectarianism. Being objective, from the answer that I have read, what is truly useful is when you mention that you have never had problems with REAPER, I assume that it includes the SpidfireAudio software and samplers. What is faster and more effective, waiting for Spidfire to solve technical problems or learning how to fluently use a new professional DAW? Can you deal with the bugs in your DAW while learning the new one? Is it practical in a course that has already started the studies?

In Hollywood, Zimmer and his "surrogates" work with CUBASE PRO and it works effectively beyond doubt. In general, independent composers play between LOGIC PRO and PRO TOOLS (yes, sig.). I think that in the Urs-Heckman studio they work with REAPER and they are happy. At Spitfire they work with LOGIC PRO and are equally effective as you can hear and see. Honestly, I don't think there is an ecosystem that doesn't have bugs and crashes, including REAPER. He sure has his bad stories.

APPLE has been damaging the professional sector for years with its update and integration policies and the vast majority consciously play to its rhythm with some justified anger. I find it hard to believe that REAPER escapes the continuous adaptation that APPLE is demanding from companies and their engineers. And that adaptation entails a number of added errors that are difficult to avoid entirely.

• hello

I accept without problem to be disqualified in your eyes. no problem; My comment was just a personal and totally subjective feedback.I'm not forcing anyone to believe me haha !

I have nothing to sell, I allow myself to say what I think here, and your answer does not concern me at all.

• sekim
    edited December 2022

FWIW, I migrated to Reaper last year from the German DAW that begins with the letter "S" after being on it for a decade. All I can say is "what an improvement" in terms of "it just works" and if it needs to be able to do something, it probably can.

The fact Reaper is extensible by the community is extraordinary. Take the extension "Reaticulate" for example, which places Spitfire (and other libs) articulations within the Reaper GUI, allowing for much improved work flows. Very professional implementation for $0. And there's literally hundreds of these sorts of extensions to choose from, for all manner of things.

Even accesses GitHub (where everyone places their extension projects) with its own package manager for choosing those extensions you're interested in, and keeping them up to date. Just click the menu and there it is.

And apparently even George Massenburg uses Reaper for high def processing jobs. So difficult to tag it with the "low budget, entry level" tags when a guy like that uses it (of course not exclusively).

For me its been very stable and very rarely gets in the way of creativity, and then only because I'm still learning the more obscure things about it.