Legato - Tightness control issues

Hello. I just bought the Studio strings professional. It sounds amazing!! But I have problems with legato. I should add a soundfile or a video but haven't gotten around to do it so I'll try to describe this in words:

Note transitions feels way to sluggish and slow even at "moderate" tempos. I don't mean fast legatos like 16th notes at 120bpm. Its ok for long "expressive" notes at, lets say, 4th notes at 80bpm. But 8th notes at 80 bpm the notes become to short for the sample to reach its "high point" and the notes sounds weak. Like " < " shaped. It feels like you would want to move the sample start forward - kind of.

But this is just what the tightness does right ? Manual says "This cuts further into the note to make it tighter." Problem is I can't hear any difference at all. Nothing happens on legatos and sustains. (on pizzicato and spiccato It seems to work, there is a small difference). I've tried all the the presets/instruments where the tightness control is present but nothing happens on any of them

Is there something with my software, should tightness work on legatos ?

otherwize ,great library!! .... except for this thing .

Sidenote:, this has always been a problem for me . I've bought several libraries from other brands hoping that they could do this simple thing. Slow "romantic" transitions are always ok but a simple "midtempo" legato thing ( which wouldn't cause any sweat from a real stringplayer) have the same problem: the volume curve of every note peaks at the end of the note. I'm not a string player but what I mean is like " the bow is working with the same pressure and I just move a finger on the fretboard and the intensity stays the same"..kind of.

Comments

• I'm sorry if this sounds obvious... But are you holding the first note down when the second note starts. There needs to be an overlap for the sample to know that the transition needs to be inserted .

• Hey,

Thanks for raising the question, this issue occurs because the Tightness control is not designed to work with Legato.

Tightness affects the short articulations only, and for long articulations, the release control is used instead. This is why you will note it affects the pizz and spicc patches.

The nature of the bow pressure across sample libraries is controlled via automation CC1 or the Modulation wheel. It is common practice to automate this down at the ends of phrases or notes to give the perceived effect of the bow lifting. A library like studio strings only has 1 fixed dynamic in its transitions / length in its transition so automating this fader becomes even more important. Also to exaggerate it with expression.

A library like Symphonic Strings however, in its more legacy legato patches, has the ability within the 3 transition types to adjust the speed and a few other controls.

Hope this provides a little insight.

• I'm looking into getting the Studio Strings library!

So, the current libraries I have by Spitfire all have controls related to fingered/bowed/port transitions. I was under the impression that the performance legatos had that same set-up, but looking closer it seems it's just a portamento and slurred transition which would be slower by default. I'd be interested in hearing the transition to see if it's worth getting the bigger Symphonic range.

• Thank's for your answer!!

...so I've should have gotten the the Symphonic strings instead ( giant facepalm! it doesn't differ to much in price) or at least asked this question before buying...

So would it be safe to say that Symphonic Strings is a library that would have solved my frustrating legato problem, or at least diminish it ? Is there any way of testing this before buying ? (another lib that still cant do faster legato transitions)

I wahtched the videos closely on the studiostrings Yes I did try rapid automation of cc1 and expression but it I didn't really get it to sound right (a "half hearted" try though, I could give it another try)

• @ prowsem yes I am :) ...otherwize it wouldnt be legato

• Jack
    Jack mod
    5 Answers 25 Likes 10 Comments Spitfire Employee
    edited April 27

I believe it would diminish it and enable you to program smoother legato lines as a whole than studio strings. Fully resolve, I can't confirm as all this is subjective to our own tastes.

There is unfortunately not a away to test our libraries at this time. However I would strongly encourage watching online content that is perhaps not our own so see how people are composing with Symphonic Orchestra vs Studio Orchestra.

J

• Aha, thanks again for your swift reply.

So if anyone reading this and owns the above mentioned Symphonic Strings do feel free to comment on this :)

I guess the trade- off would be to loose the close dryness that Studio has...but you would get more transition options.

Cause I couldn't find anything on youtube etc that showed playing "midtempo legato melodies" with Studio. It's usually mostly "flowing romantic" stuff (difficult to describe in words but I think you know what I mean). I Guess I made my decision to get it was based upon the video "Walkthrough: Spitfire Studio Strings Professional" at ca 7.17 which sounded like it could do the job.

I did notice though that the "problem" ( cause its only a problem when you try to play things that it apparently was not ment for) is more noticeable in the higher octaves, like from c4 and upwards.