Percussion Swarm . . . or other recommendations.

Hey Folks!

I’m looking for more percussion, especially with an ethnic twist. I have viewed the walkthrough and all the associated videos for Percussion Swarm. I really liked some of the sounds, including the pitched percussion.

I realize that the primary purpose for this library is to produce the swarm effect, but I wonder how playable the single hits are in order to create some rhythmic percussion tracks.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

Associate Professor of Music / The University of Virginia’s College at Wise

Conductor + Music Director / Winds of the Mountain Empire

Comments

• Or . . . would I be better off with Hans Zimmer Percussion? I'm primarily looking for single hits, but the swarm is a nice effect - and I like the sound of the chimes.

Associate Professor of Music / The University of Virginia’s College at Wise

Conductor + Music Director / Winds of the Mountain Empire

• I have Percussion Swarm. It's a great library. But I'm not sure I would look to it for much in the way of single hits. Yes there are single hits for a fair number of the instruments, however to my ear it doesn't have the feel you would want. I suspect this is because even the single hits are really multiple percussionists playing single hits together. So for some instruments, particularly the lower pitched instruments it can really augment their sound and it might be beneficial if your goal is typical percussion patterns. But for some of the higher pitched instruments I think the sound is kind of too ambient even when turning the reverb all the way off and using only close mics. Granted I haven't spent a huge time trying, I just tinkered around for maybe 10 mins now, since it's never been something I tried to use it for. But my gut says if you're looking for more in your face percussion sounds, Perc Swarm isn't really going to get you there probably.

I don't have Hans Zimmer Perc, so I'm afraid I can't comment there. When I'm looking for ethnic percussion sounds I usually use UVI World Suite. (no offense to the Spitfire folks, it's just what I have, they probably have something that would work just as well)