new member - greetings spitfire community

Hello,

Looking into the purchase of my first spitfire product(s). Not a composer and not really even a pianist. I'm primarily a guitarist and basically just know enough about playing keyboards to be dangerous. πŸ˜‰

Anyway, I did take piano lessons for a few years when MIDI was first introduced as I quickly realized I'd need to know a bit of keyboard technique to make it useful.

I'm a blues / rock guy but I do love classical music and acoustic fingerstyle (D. Fogelberg, P. Simon, and J. Croce, etc.).

I'm particularly fond of piano instrumentals like this Fogelberg piece.

As such, at this time I don't really need the high end, full blown libraries. I already have a few orchestral products but I'm always looking for something better than I already have which is what led me here.

Near term I'm looking at the originals libraries and possibly BBC SO. Right now I'm using a modified Dell laptop (i7 QC / 16GB / SSD) and I've yet to stress it because my needs for orchestration is rather light in the songs I've composed that are similar to the linked Fogelberg video.

Anyway, I'm planning on eventually upgrading to a desk top PC which will afford me the ability to purchase the larger, full-featured libraries.

As I understand it, certain spitfire libraries require the spitfire app while others require free Kontakt and some require the full sampler version. The only question I have at the moment is whether Kontakt in any of its forms (free or not) is compatible with my DAW (Cubaes Pro)?

Thanks.

Comments

• hey there - welcome to the community - looking forward to hearing your music!! (you're very welcome to post on our new monthly community challenge thread - see elsewhere on the forum - not hard to miss!)

If you are running Cubase pro then you are probably going to be fine with all the Spitfire libraries (they work fine for me and am running Reason 10 - which is considerably less well supported than Cubase). Some thoughts:

Libraries that run on Spitfire player - no worries at all, but if you are in the habit of moving your libraries around SSDs often then you may need to reset/repair each time, you have limited resets and you have to call support for extra resets - so DON'T DO IT the night before a deadline! If you keep your libraries in one place, you'll be fine! The originals libraries are awesome and (if you take care with your workflow and are prepared to bounce things to audio when the orchestra gets reasonably big) your current set up will happily handle BBCSO Core (I know this because it is identical to mine). What I would say is that BBCSO core has a bit of a learning curve because it doesn't have ensemble patches - so you have to (e.g.) write your Violin, Viola and Cello parts separately. If you are looking for perfection, then the rewards of tackling the curve are endless, but if you want an easier start, look at something like Albion 1 - which only has ensembles and so will dictate the orchestration options to you and limit your flexibility, but would let you sketch things and find your way a bit more easily. My current (perfect) world is to have Originals: Epic Strings for sketching the strings, plus the flexibility of BBCSO for putting the brass and winds on top (and then filling out the strings in BBCSO).

Libraries that run on free Kontakt player - no worries for Cubase! Some Spitfire libraries (e.g. solo strings) may tax your current PC (they do mine, but there are workarounds).

Libraries that run on full Kontakt - no worries for Cubase, but, obvs, you need full Kontakt

Do feel free to ask more questions - I'd also look into budgeting for a relatively high end fx package too (I use Fabfilter Pro R, Pro C and Pro Q).

Main tip - don't pay full price- wait for sales - they happen often!

Hope helpful - post some music soon!😁