OUT NOW: Appassionata - The next generation of highly-detailed string legatos.

Infuse your music with more passion than ever before. Delivering flowing and emotive lines, these new legatos enable composers to intuitively write in beautiful, soaring melodic styles, with stunning precision.

1. 30 top London string players recorded using our new "Impulse Legato" technique at the world-famous Air Studios.
  2. The culmination of years of intensive research and development at Spitfire Audio
  3. Perfectly balanced and incredibly detailed, enabling composers to intuitively write emotive, flowing melodies.
  4. 11 professional signals, featuring 4 expertly engineered mixes and 7 mic positions

Watch the walkthrough:

Learn more about Appassionata:

Comments

• The demos on the product landing page are sounding incredibly awesome. Not only are the compositions well done, but the mixing/mastering is out of this world. Nice work!

• I was excited when I saw the library would be extended legato techniques, but was rather disappointed when there wasn't a flautando legato patch. Totally would be a purchase if I could afford it, but even so, that patch not existing is a small disappointment.

• Great library!

Weird question, any plans to release a wallpaper of the art? I like the color scheme a lot!

Like you did with Solstice and Symphonic Motions?

Cheers

• Has anybody had trouble wuth the slur transitions not working? Pressing had on the keys with mod wheel up is supposed to trigger them?

I can't get anything to work no matter what even via drawing in velocities etc.

Also the example samples on each string section in the plig in dont play sound.

Logic Pro 10.7.2

• I'm interested in purchasing but I have a question about functionality.

I am not a keyboard player - though I may learn at some point I'm currently putting most of my music time into learning to play the low whistle. I'd like to begin writing 'duets' between the whistle and a countermelody played on a string instrument / section. This library seem ideal for creating the simple, beautiful countermelodies, played mostly softly in the high end, to accompany my own live playing.

An approach I've taken in the past is to score a piece on sheet music using musescore, which I find very intuitive for the writing process, then import that as a midi file to apply to a virtual instrument.

The downside of course is that there is initially no change in dynamics, expression or velocity. The next step is then to go in and either adjust these things manually, or to record the automation from a mod wheel during a play-through. Basically it means an iterative process of refining the piece over a few days, making small adjustments to create something life-like. To a keyboard player that probably sounds strange, but its actually quite enjoyable, a bit like graphic design.

Anyway, I just want to confirm that this approach would allow me to activate all the 'under-the-hood' stuff that is built in to this library. i.e. is there any reason why this approach wouldn't work that I am not aware of?

Thanks so much!

• 😕..am i missing something....i honestly cannot tell the difference between the legato articulation and the legato slurred articulation ?...where,s the slur ??..like SimonH i,ve tried all velocities and zilch no slur ?..no portamento either...😕..the first spitfire library ive downloaded and been dissapointed with..think i should have researched a bit more before buying....

• Agree with SimonH and howsie...no slur or porta so far and no noticeable difference between the two legato types??? Also, even though it is documented, I don't understand why porta is limited to intervals over a 5th. I get a better result from SCS legato patches. Not sure what Paul was demoing.

• i get a better result with bbc core legatos

• Is this a case of "The emperor,s new clothes " ?

• Got to say thanks you Spitfire, having spent a couple of days with this now it feel like a genuine next gen library - but the genius is in the subtle little details.

The note transitions are perfect top to bottom (on some libraries you sometimes hear multiple samples overlapping and it sounds a bit off)

The note-offs sound perfect - something that can sound unnatural in legato string libraries.

The sound captured is ridiculous, and the sound and feel is consistent top to bottom.

The under-the-hood settings are great, and there's more than expected.

I see some people complaining about features or sounds they wanted included..fair enough I suppose, but it's worth focussing on what IS there, as it's damn near perfection.

You've got one very happy customer here - and if this is how future libraries are going to be, I'm in :)

• I was finally able to get the porta to work. You not only need a velocity of 120 or greater, but CC1 has to be pretty high as well. I don't have a precise number but CC greater than 120 and CC 127 definitely gets the porta as long as your start at or above the Vn high E and play a 5th or greater. Didn't try the Vc yet but I expect it's the same.

• I meant to say "a velocity of 120 (or greater) and a CC 1 value in the low 100's". The effect increases as you increase CC 1 from there.

@Dave Graham

I think a couple of people were perplexed that the porta was not working as expected, but as I described above, it does work. The documentation did not mention the CC 1 requirement, only the velocity requirement. Also, without some sort of curve change, a velocity of 120 is pretty high for a lot of midi keyboards. I use a fully weighted Yamaha piano keyboard and I literally have to bang on the keys to reach 120. I use a midi plugin to change the curve.

...and otherwise it's a great library.😉

• Anyone had the chance to compare Appassionata with Spitfire Solo Strings? What's the biggest differences? Positive? Negative? Very curious to try the Appassionata, but wondering how much of a step up it is from Solo Strings - which I own and love. Is it worth it? Will I still have the need for Solo Strings?

• I mean. Appassionata has 7 more violins, 5 more viola & celli and 3 more bass. It’s an ensemble that is 99% legato only with some other brief accented articulations. It’s a one trick pony for symphonic/chamber uses and a good one at that.

I wouldn’t compare them with solo strings.

• Ok, thank you, Michael!

You know, right after I posted I thought: "Who am I kidding? Of course I'm gonna get it!" :-) Great offer right now, too. Yes... I understand the Solo Strings is a different beast with tons of articulations and possibilities (which I haven't fully dived into yet.) I guess Appassionata is more more playable right out of the box, judging from Paul Thomson's walkthrough video.

Thanks again! :)

• Hmm. I don't know. Certainly not what I've been waiting for. I've been waiting for the range of articulations in Chamber Strings, with the current generation sonics of BBC Orchestra. This isn't that- there is still only the one full-voice legato; no legato mutes, flautando, sul tasto, ponticello, trem, etc. and still no legato pizz, which really should be a thing. The portamento seems to only exist at the maximum-dynamic, as if you would never need mezzo-piano portamento. That said, I don't know what "impulse legato" is, but there seems to be less emphasis on the note transitions than in previous products, and more focus on being quick, natural, focused and articulate. You can execute very rapid and intricate lines without any mush. Most of the time, I'm still going to be stuck using Chamber Strings because it's still the only (!) product with anything approaching a full set of articulations. When I want a big, emotive, soaring legato with spectacular sonics...I'm afraid I'll still be reaching for BBC Orch Pro. But if I want crisp runs and timing accuracy, I'll use Appassionata for sure. For the price, it's a fantastic expansion, but it isn't the "Next Generation of String Legatos." At least, I hope not.

• Interesting; crisp runs and timing accuracy while maintaining a realistic sound is something I've been struggling to achieve with any of my libraries, even with stacking different articulations. I've been trying to replicate Muse's Exogenesis Part 1 with the ascending arpeggios but just haven't been able to get it to sound right despite trying several techniques.

• really? I thought it looked like some sort of salad. :) ( I like salad)

• Hey Spitfire!

I've downloaded this bad boy and the tone is gorgeous. I just don't seem to get any of those sliding transitions. I looked at Paul's walkthrough, checked which patch he was using and saw how hard he was hitting the keys at (as an example) 1:03-1:05, even figured out the notes he's hitting, but I don't get the transition, just one note and then another. I play soft, hard, low in the range and high, and it's just one note to the next. Any ideas?

Since installing the instrument, I have moved it to an external SSD, but I selected "relocate" in the Spitfire app and made sure it was optimised etc. Maybe something went wrong with the move? But why then are all the notes working fine, just not the portamento or whatever it's called? Makes me feel like I'm playing it in wrong somehow...

Any help is appreciated!

• I'm having the same issue (I made my own comment on this thread just above asking about it. Hopefully there might be some tech support at some point? Currently re-installing to see if that helps?

@Bill I'm glad you got it working :) But my CC1 is full currently, so mayyybe there's some issue in the iibrary? I'll see after install. If not, I'll contact support directly and report back to you Simon (unless you find something or a staff members replies here first).

I'm a big fan of SA and was pretty keen. Holding out hopes that I won't be let down by this purchase. I did, after all, purchase it for the legatos in the first place 😂

Fingers crossed!

• For my last comment (I promise I'm done after this, sorry for clogging up the space), is there a way to lower the required velocity for portamento? As said by others, 120+ is pretty high, especially for those of us who don't have the flashiest keyboards. If there isn't an option to alter this, then I guess I'm humbly requesting it 😂

• @WybrewMusic "But my CC1 is full currently"

and also overlapping notes, velocity greater than 119, pitch Vn high E or higher or Vc high A or higher, and interval of a 5th or greater.

As I mentioned before, this is a pretty curious limitation in general, and compared with SCS and SSS. I'd be interested to understand why this is so.

• I have been able to achieve portamento under these conditions also! A win!

It is a very curious limitation, and the product seems to advertise that this range should simply be the "more obvious" transition, not... the only transition? Especially requiring such high velocity.

To be honest, this feels like spmething that needs to be updated and fixed, and if that doesn't happen I'll be regretting the purchase, as I wanted some nice legato transitions not so extremely limited to intrument, velocity, dynamic, range and interval! As a SA fan I'm a little sad.

• A little sad here too...when i read the word "appassionata"..i immediately thought of john barry with all those lovely sweeping string lines that glide in and out 😀..i only have myself to blame for buying first and not finding out more about the product 😐️🙄......p.s...there,s only so many times i want to be bashing the hell out of my keyboard.(an old korg m1)..i,m scared something will crack..if not the keyboard ,then my fingers 😀.I know velocities can be written in but sometimes thats a pain

• I’ve gone back and watched Paul’s walkthrough a little more carefully. They never really advertised portamento on all ranges. So I guess it’s on us for not looking a little closely, as you said 😅

I would agree that the name and branding of the library leans itself towards the idea of sexy transitions on all ranges (like Abbey Road 2), but ultimately I gotta know what I’m buying before I buy it. I probably wouldn’t have if I’d realised, and I’m… sceptical about an update coming out that will change much.

For now, I’d just really like to know if I can change a setting to activate portamento at a slightly lower velocity. I too wish not to break my little fingies 😂

• Hey Stewart, thanks for responding. It’s nice to hear from a Spitfire person directly :)

Is there a setting to be able activate portamento - even only at the same range on the high strings - at a lower velocity than 120? 120 is so high 😂

I also think that my untrained ears simply can’t hear a difference at all between the slurred and the dètaché, and I suspect this is the same issue for a few others describing similar confusion. In fact, while I really like how smooth and not jarring the transitions are between notes on Appassionata, I don’t think I can hear or “feel” slurs or détaché at all. Again, just me not having good ears I suppose. Moving between notes is very nice and fluid though, so I CAN tell that there’s something good happening.

• Is it allowed to share user demos here? This is a mockup of one of my pieces created with Spitfire Appassionata Strings exclusively:

Sunt lacrimae rerum for String Orchestra:

The library has a It has polished, high-gloss, widescreen kind of sound. Very nice. I too would have wished for a full implementation of portamento. Maybe something for a later update? Anyway, I really like the library so far.